Monday, June 9, 2008

Happy Monday!

I love summertime and all of the food that comes with it. Peaches, apricots, and berries, berries, berries! All of this makes me want to have my oven on 24/7 with a constant stream of pies, jams, and other goodies coming out of it. Of course, just as all of these culinary goods are reaching the supermarket, the temperature outside is usually reaching the typical 200°.

Not this weekend! We here in Phoenix are enjoying a very lovely “Spring” (The official start of summer not being ‘til the 21st of June). This being said, it was a beautiful weekend! My husband and I were able to do a number of our never-ending house projects without sweltering in the heat. We invited some friends over and enjoyed a balmy evening on the patio dining on barbecued salmon, coleslaw and cornbread! It was a feast! And nothing beats a nice glass of white wine in the summer.

I am posting photos of some of my favorite things from this weekend. First, I absolutely had to share this recipe for a great twist on the classic caprese salad. (I found it in one of my Bon Appetit magazines from last summer). Simply layer sliced peaches, fresh mozzarella slices, and basil leaves; season with sea salt and drizzle with balsamic vinegar and olive oil! Delicious! And summer perfect!


Secondly, I had to share a photo of the doughnuts my nieces made on Sunday. Clearly they too felt it was cool enough outside to still do some cooking that requires a lot of heat! I thought they turned out perfect. Especially when delivered by the sweetest girls ever!

Happy Monday!

-M.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Looks sooo yummy!!!!