Friday, November 14, 2008

Oh Pear!

Do you see the lovely living room in the photo below? While I was perusing Phoenix Home & Garden magazine I was struck by the painting shown on this homeowners’ wall. Right then and there, I decided that I absolutely MUST duplicate it. The only trouble was, I had never used oil paints before, and the only painting I had done prior to this was with those little CeramCoat water colors. (The kind where you can just pick any color you want and don’t have to mix it.)

Well, I am not going to bore you with the long story, but let me just tell you one major detail. I found this picture in 1998! TEN years ago people!! And, it has been the bane of my (and my husbands) existence ever since! I invested in the paints and the canvas (those large ones are expensive!) and started the painting immediately. At that point, realizing I had absolutely no idea what I was doing, and not willing to throw it out because of how much it cost, I hid it in a closet. Yes, pathetic. Through the years I would take the painting out with all intentions of working on it, but somehow the pear would end up sitting in the office waiting, waiting.

My husband threatened many times to throw it away at which point I would always promise to finish it. Finally, this last summer he took it out and said finish it or its going to the dump! Yikes! He meant business this time. All of this to say…. Yes, I did it! The painting is done!!! The hugest, hairiest monkey is off my back! I seriously cannot tell you how happy my husband is. The pear has saved our marriage!

I have posted a picture of the finished product. I hope that this gives you some motivation to finish those unfinished projects laying around. Or maybe just throw them away!


-M.




1 comment:

Domestic Bliss & FOUND said...

I can't believe it is finished!!!
It looks phenomenal~ LOVE It!
K