Friday, March 13, 2009


Did anyone see the moon last night? Bob and I went to dinner in Scottsdale for a very romantic date night last night. We went to Bandera. I love that place and for some reason we haven't been there in a very long time! It's a great place to go with friends and hang at the bar. The food is always delicious and the drinks are rockin'.

Anyhow, back to the moon. On the way home we were on the loop from the 101 south to the 202 east and that's when I saw it! It was huge and beautiful and orange! I was so struck with it's beauty that I gasped outloud which of course always freaks out my perpetually nervous husband and he had to sternly remind me that you never yell out or make those surprised noises when someone is driving. Even now I am laughing so hard about that!

So after an evening of wining and dining the moon was the perfect end to my romantic night. The full moon always reminds me of one of my all time favorite movies, "Moonstruck". If you haven't seen it you really must run out and rent it. It's all about love, love and the 'bella luna'.

Now here is the not so glamorous reason that the moon was so striking last night. Of course the moon is largest as it is just rising. (I am guessing it was at it's glory around 8:00 p.m.) According to wikepedia the moon is actually farthest away when it is just rising and therefore the light rays have to travel farther for us to see. Unfortunately if there is any obstructions in the air such as dust particles or pollution, it obstructs the path of the light and changes the color to orange. Hello! Arizona! Pollution much!

Oh well, I still love looking at the moon. I hope you enjoy it too!

-M.

p.s. isn't that moon pic perfect for Friday the 13th!?

2 comments:

Domestic Bliss & FOUND said...

Hmmmm. romantic evening eh?
K

Unknown said...

I can just hear Bob! And I can't stop laughing about it!! Sadly, I did not see the moon :(